Saturday 29 May 2010

Rhubarb, rhubarb

A spell of long-ish showers today prompted me to go and harvest some of the rhubarb in the garden. It didn't do very well last year: it got a bit straggly-looking and went partly to seed at one point, but in the early spring I earthed up its bed well and it's now produced a mass of really thick stalks. I put on my wellies and cut upwards of a dozen or so, which still leaves masses: you can hardly notice any difference. I've no idea how expensive it is to buy in the shops, but it's nice to get free home-grown produce, of course!



I couldn't be bothered to make a crumble or a pie, so I just boiled it up in a saucepan with what I thought was plenty of sugar. It wasn't - when I filled a couple of basins with the results about 15 minutes later and took a spoonful to taste, it was sour as anything. A nice flavour otherwise, though, and should be good with some ice-cream as a dessert!

1 comment:

  1. Nice rhubarb.
    Nice wellies too. I try to put my wellies on whenever I go into the garden.

    ReplyDelete